To receive a mini-assessment, send me the first 3000 words of your work plus a
synopsis. In your cover letter, please supply the word count of the full manuscript and
include any specific concerns you might have about your work. The charge for a mini-
edit is $150.00. This must be paid at time of submission.
The mini-assessment will provide you with the following:
- a concise report outlining the strengths and weaknesses of your submission
including suggestions for improvement in the areas of plot, characterisation,
presentation, general interest, writing techniques, structure, point of view, style
and overall tone
- an extensive proofread and copyedit on one full page of your manuscript. This
should help you to edit the work yourself before resubmitting and can tighten your
writing while decreasing the manuscript word count.
If you then decide to proceed with my services, you can choose from one of the
For this you will receive:
- a detailed report outlining the strengths and weaknesses of your entire
manuscript, focusing on plot, characterisation, dialogue, setting, language,
audience, writing techniques and consistency.
- a copy of your manuscript with comments and suggestions marked within your
text. These will highlight more specific areas of concern and offer suggestions for
improvement if needed.
This will be more like a teacher/student or cooperative relationship using one specific
piece of work and will be charged at an hourly rate. If we both decide this is the best
way to proceed, we will work out an individual agreement that outlines our course of
action and is best suited to your requirements.
Note: Writing for publication necessitates accepting honest criticism and well-informed
advice on your work. I will be professional and honest with you – always.
Each writer is unique. Each of you will have different requirements. Once we have
agreed on the best course of action, I will offer you a quote based on an estimation of
the time it will take for me to provide the service you require.
Payments may be made through PayPal or direct deposit. Please email me for BSB
and account information.
Feel free to email me with any questions prior to submitting. If you need to send a
hard copy, you can contact me for instructions.
- send your work as an attachment to me here
- write "assessment" and the title of your work in the subject line
- use Times New Roman or Arial 12 pt font and double space your work.
- include a cover letter answering the following questions:
- Who is your target audience?
- What is your goal for this work? Publication in the trade market,
educational market, for the family, etc.
- What, if any, are your concerns about your manuscript?
The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a
large matter -- it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning.